Thursday, June 28, 2007

Furry soul mate, new book and lots of inspiration.. what better things can life hold?!

Wow what a nice day so far! Lazing in bed with Danzig my furry soul mate... ok he's just a cat really but what a furry little soul he is! He certainly knows the good things in life! We just lay about snuggling for about an hour in bed. Such a luxury!

I went out to check my garden after the crazy storm last night, it seems very refreshed in it's best green! It's so amazing to watch all this grow, and to know I am cultivating something that will nourish me and my family. I then came back and did my porch gardening with Danzig by my side rolling around enjoying the cool breeze *finally*.

Then I decided to read a bit of my new book "Letters To A Young Artist" by Julia Cameron, the same person who did the "Artist's Way" book with the exercises to get ones creative juices flowing again. Unfortunately that book didn't do much for me, the exercises were good but a little too much structure for my liking. I must say though reading this new book with a more personal side of her work is much more inspiring to me. I really enjoy her views on art and artistic lifestyle. She talks about work ethic, trying rather than giving in when things get blocked or you lack inspiration, about keeping art in everything one does and just overcoming self doubt. It's really quite excellent! I think more people who are feeling an artistic block should read this! I have only tried the first few letters and already I got off my ass earlier in the day and finished my graphite landscape. Who knew! It even turned out fairly well considering my penchant for figurative work(ha ha yes the boobies i miss the boobies) and lack of experience in landscape.

I always get myself hooked up in my subject... is it artistic enough... what does it say to me... what will it say to the viewer... is it mature enough..... is it complex enough... should I try something different, a different style or approach... LOL yes I guess art really is all about doing it and not thinking so much as Julia Cameron says. I guess that is one lesson that takes a while to sink in, I often worry so much about what I am doing that I don't do anything at all. This is one thing I really have to keep working on and just work through times of inspirational block or self doubt.

So :-S I didn't get chosen for one of the thirty finalists in the portrait competition in Kingston. Am I upset?? LOL funny enough not at all!! I think it's a sign I am toughening up. I will just try again next year with a different subject maybe more contemporary and less traditional. That's ok! I will take a good look and see if a painting more like my Little Bird one would work better for that type of competition. I will also look and see if there are other contests going on that might fit my work better. Ok ok ok and some galleries to hang in... so tough to put yourself out there with the fear of lack of interest. Well I guess like Julia says I should just get on with it then worry later :-P it's a slow process, the main thing is I am enjoying what I am doing and learning a lot about myself and others for that matter while discovering the right path.

Off to finish the pastel of my friend in the Cafe. MMM I have amazing Jazz on Django Reinhardt is inspiring and there is a refreshing breeze drifting through my apartment :-D I am on the right track today and no negativity can pull me down.... hopefully tomorrow will be the same!

No comments: