Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Dazed and confused on a grey day :-S

So, I am back from the art show, recouping from that and a little cold :-P all the fun stuff ;-) The show went decently well and there was some people interested to see more. Lots of cards handed out... guess we will see what happens from here. People are full of talk :-P

The show really did get me thinking though, what it really is to be an artist and what people are looking for in art. Seems in our world there is less interest in nudes, really it's pretty sad. Not that I had any visions of crazy art collectors up in the Laurentians LOL!! I just think the average person is rather intimidated by "over-exposure" LOL The models are crazy to reveal themselves to the artist... let alone to the whole world. People have this idea that there are creeps out to look at nudes and there are some...but honestly who is going to put out cash to see a fine art nude rather than search the net for nude photos. I think it's all in location.. I think as far as some people are concerned the artist is just as much to blame asking people to model... and for choosing such a subject that people can't connect with.

On the other side of it, people at the show took interest in what I assumed would not be of much interest for random people. They seemed very interested in the paintings of my old family photographs as well as my portraits. Hmmmm think I have been told many times "people will not buy or be interested in portraits that are not of them or their family"... :-S Oh well guess again! So I guess I will just keep on with the subject I love and develop some really interesting portraits.

I really am happy I spent the time to make a good portfolio, it turned out to be invaluable. Everyone took a good look through. It was very easy for them to get a feel for my work with the variety of mediums and subjects, not to mention my bio there was able to get all my words out without me having to do the notorious "about me" talk over and over. I do see however that I need to make my bio bilingual, funny that I never thought about it before! Ah well one thing on the list of many to get done.

So I am thinking about why I make art... for myself and for others.. as an artist I have to think is my purpose to sell... Most people need to pay the bills with their work. I am quite fortunate that I am not under such pressure. In a way it have me mostly painting to please myself and not others. I do want others to see and enjoy my work... so I need to find a balance that will appeal to the public and still be interesting for me as well. Food for thought! I think I am already decently on the right path. Just need to keep the ideas flowing and keep working. Ha ha need to find more glass birds is what I need! :-P I saw some fantastic ones on E-bay.... oh what a frightening place.. so much junk and cool, MUST HAVE stuff LOL One man's(PERSON's) trash is another's treasure!!



Well before my fingers go numb and before your eyes fall out I will go. Time to snuggle in and finish my sketching. Tonight is a night for Barley, Lentil, sun dried tomato soup! mmmm I love the amazing nostalgic feeling of cold fall days! (note the photo of a cold and patient model I did body painting on a few years back!) xoxox

No comments: