Friday, July 13, 2007

Seeing through eyes of change.

Wow I just love having high speed internet... lol two years without and it's so great to finally get it back! I can get back to seeing what's happening in the world! I am watching all sorts of amazing videos, they are very inspiring. I love LOVE the vids by Sigur Rós. Glósóli is one of my favorite videos they created as it deals with something very interesting to me, growing up. The changes that happen, how the magic changes things are not quite as fairy tale with time. We learn there is ugliness in the world as well as beauty. I think that is such an interesting part of humanity, sitting on the verge and just learning about life. The music is quite beautiful as well, they really are experimental in that the lyrics themselves are in a non-existent language. They just create what sounds good and seems to have meaning even though there is no way to really know what they are trying to convey. Beautiful Neverland style children run through fields slowly growing in numbers and learning about firsts of life. They end at the edge of a huge cliff and .... jump off... it's so beautiful. Something to say about the courage needed to grow up. I find it so inspiring. I MUST paint more children.

I have always found that delicate age to be facinating. Before society pushes it's views onto us. Before the newness goes. I have many ideas for works dealing with that. An artist who did some facinating paintings of young girls on the verge of womanhood was Balthus( Balthasar Klossowski de Rola). I just discovered his work a few months ago but find it quite interesting. He has a very twisted sense of Alice in Wonderland that he painted into his work. Loaded with mirrors, and cats who observe the young women. The subjects he chose seem to have an innocence and yet a power that has yet to be revealed. He was also a master of light, the contrast and the delicate observation of tone he used set the atmosphere to something magical and yet harsh.

Well I must be off as I am to dine with the parent's in law this evening. We are going to the restaurant which we ate at after Ian and my wedding. It's such a cute place in the old port. Amazing Italian food and great place to take a walk after! I will tote my camera along incase I come across something eye catching. There always are things to be seen and captured :-P

No comments: